Dark Refuge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attn: Grand Admiral Layne Yr- An inquiry concerning my research

2 posters

Go down

Attn: Grand Admiral Layne Yr- An inquiry concerning my research Empty Attn: Grand Admiral Layne Yr- An inquiry concerning my research

Post  MichaelHerbertGilmour Wed May 18, 2011 7:13 am

Enclosed is a standard Michael Gilmour videomessage.

"Grand Admiral Layne Yr!

I hope today sees you well; things seem to be getting better every day, at least from my perspective. Research has been happily continuing apace, and I hope that the samples I've been sending you have proven interesting. For the record- if you ever notice something you're particularly interested in from any of my habitats, please inquire and I'll see if I can get it to you. My transportation system has grown significantly more robust in the last few weeks, so it's significantly less onerous for me to do so.

But onto other ventures.

I have been doing a bit of research into the the current TRILAT position on Leyas research, and I have realized that a significant amount of that knowledge seems to be deposited resources directly under the control of several members in our group- otherwise, I would have simply taught myself. Furthermore, I'm very interested in things that aren't terribly basic, so there might not be much known about them. Finally, they involve some of your technologies directly.

I am very, very interested in the composition of nightmare flesh, from both a materials standpoint as well as a leyas standpoint. It seems to be extremely durable and resistant to organic degradation- two qualities that I can imagine being extremely useful in my own designs. Unfortunately, in order to integrate anything like it, I need to know a bit more about it. Furthermore, its seemingly omnicidal properties will have to be mitigated, or some resistance to it will have to be engineered. As such, any information you can provide would be of great use.

As always, I am more than willing to offer any clarifications concerning my request that you may wish.

Thank you for your time."

And, as normal, the feed terminates.
MichaelHerbertGilmour
MichaelHerbertGilmour

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Attn: Grand Admiral Layne Yr- An inquiry concerning my research Left_bar_bleue100/100Attn: Grand Admiral Layne Yr- An inquiry concerning my research Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Attn: Grand Admiral Layne Yr- An inquiry concerning my research Empty Re: Attn: Grand Admiral Layne Yr- An inquiry concerning my research

Post  AdmiralLayneYr Wed May 18, 2011 11:01 pm

Scientist Gilmour,

Your projects are some of the few in the entire TRILAT that actually interest me.
Your success on Anatos Hao perpetually reminds me that giving you that planet was the best decision I have made in the last few months.
Of course I will share all this little lady knows about Shadow Leyas and Nightmares.
I'll start simple. The Leyas called Shadow is actually supercharged by fear and pain. It is drawn to fear and pain like a moth to a flame. And when combined with a complex subconscious delightful things happen.
Fear is given form. This form starts only semi permanent it requires an infusion of lifeforce from its terrified creator to become whole.
The Kasanthian faith, my faith stems from the idea that these Nightmares can be the ultimate in free labor. They are a tool given by the universe and must be used not feared.
Or so my mentor Lurlock taught me.
Now on to the problem you are asking about.

Nightmare flesh is unique as a material because it is only half-real. If the Nightmare never ate its creator it will rot away quickly turning to dust within hours. But once permanent this flesh will continue to grow without food water air or any biological purposes. While their bodies are usually full of black ichor it is not actual blood, since there is no respiration or immune system.

From a Leyas standpoint this is easy because it is tied directly into Shadow Leyas. Even when Leyas flow is cut off (using Zela for example) a Nightmare will be unaffected for months or years.

This makes Nightmares almost impervious to being destroyed through chemical, biological, radiological or material means. Extreme heat works but in that case why go your route right?
And a blade may put down more humanoid Nightmares.

No you seek the major weakness of a Nightmare flesh, and that is specific.

There is a little thing that burns through Nightmares like acid but doesn't have any effect on the surroundings. That is the triumphal triumvirate of Conscious will, sunlight and Leyas radiation from the dimensions of Kotrice.

The Leyas of Kotrice can be weaves by a Leyas User into two distinct Leyas types, Healing and Light.

It is Light Leyas (so icky) which you will need to destroy the flesh of nightmares. Light Leyas and a consciousness guiding it can actually scour the Shadow Leyas from the flesh of Nightmares. The Nightmare flesh will burn away of its own accord (not big fire burn, think sizzily and dripping burned)

I have studied those wonderful samples (thanks again and kisses).

If you have some "subjects" that have achieved conscious thought they might be able to direct the Leyas. I feel bad calling them samples if they can think.Oh my, Gilmour why haven't we tried this before???
But if we do create a light leyas wielding fungus, you must promise to grow me a polar opposite shadow based one for my own personal use. Maybe in purple so it can have the Kasanthian federation colors

Omnicidal, kills all? If that is what you mean we Kasanthians have found a way of mitigating this.
A devotee of my faith can bend Nightmares to our will through devotion alone.

Did I cover all topics needed, Scientist Gilmour?

Grand Admiral Layne Yr

Last edited by AdmiralLayneYr on Wed May 18, 2011 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : always forget to put the grand,)

AdmiralLayneYr
Faction Commander
Faction Commander

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Attn: Grand Admiral Layne Yr- An inquiry concerning my research Left_bar_bleue100/100Attn: Grand Admiral Layne Yr- An inquiry concerning my research Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Attn: Grand Admiral Layne Yr- An inquiry concerning my research Empty Re: Attn: Grand Admiral Layne Yr- An inquiry concerning my research

Post  MichaelHerbertGilmour Thu May 19, 2011 1:09 am

The Grand Admiral would receive a videomessage back quickly... though it took a bit more time than usual.

"All very interesting, Admiral, and I greatly welcome your candor. It's quite a bit to think about, and I'm sure that I'll have more questions in the not-so-distant future, but why wait until then when there are things to discuss now?

I suppose infusing my creations with either light or life leyas might help mitigate the damage, but the introduction of light leyas seems an awfully specific solution to an awfully specific problem.

I assume that simply cutting /anything/ off from leyas, not just nightmare flesh, would still retain its properties over time? If that is the case, I will have to think about things for a while, it seems. Some general way to deal with it would be extremely convenient.

No, I do not have any subjects that have achieved conscious thought, and I am actually making sure that such things do not arise. While I greatly enjoy seeing surprising new shapes arise from my habitats, consciousness causes changes that are both significantly more dramatic and significantly less predictable, and neither of those things would be useful at this point. I have no interest in seeing my creations get away from me. While this could slow things down somewhat, I find it acceptable.

Instead of making a fungi that either wields light or shadow leyas, I am thinking about making something more akin to the nightmares themselves- something that is simply infused by it. Living creatures have a number of very, very significant features that would be difficult or impossible to replicate in something like a nightmare, and chief among them is a method of generating gradual, directional change between generations.

And when I mean omnicidal, I mean that the ichor that exists in Nightmares seems to kill everything. I suppose if it lays in direct opposition to life, that isn't a terrible shock, however.

Is there a way to convert one leyas into another?

Thanks, as always. You are proving to be a vital resource and a wonderful ally. Hopefully I can provide you with the same utility."

The feed terminates as usual, etc etc.

MichaelHerbertGilmour
MichaelHerbertGilmour

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  AdmiralLayneYr Tue May 24, 2011 2:52 am

"Artifacts which are objects infused with Leyas will always retain their properties. Their more powerful effects will only work on Leyas Rich worlds like Refuge, and those with Leyas Generators or open Energy Bridges to the primordial dimensions (primordial dimensions vs. dimensions like ours which usually don't have any more or any less Leyas than our own from my own ). Kyrpos, which has the land of the Quall N'drone is one of those primordial dimensions.

Creatures infused with Leyas are usually dependent on the ability to express those Leyas Abilities based on the Ambient energy.
Leyas Energy levels fluccuate too low, Scientist Gilmour, and the abilities can no longer be accessed by the organism.

Some objects also act as Leyas Generators, like artifacts prepared specially, but the best natural portable Leyas Generator is actually the blood of the alien species that we humans call Djinni.
If you could develope a fungii which could spread, wait for it, and secrete a similar compound Djinni Blood. Then if you wanted to include neural connections you could have a person plug in and express their emotions at the location and shape the Leyas created there.

One catch, once you create this fungii you'd still need to learn to shape the Leyas. Its an art and a talent mixed with critical awareness, Scientist Gilmour, much like scientific research can be. This is one little lady who knows her limitations, I can teach you Shadow Leyas, even from afar, but Ive never learned Light, its an anathema in my faith. So you'd have to learn that from someone else.

Or you could just Consume Nightmares Twisted Evil

AdmiralLayneYr
Faction Commander
Faction Commander

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelHerbertGilmour Tue May 24, 2011 8:46 pm

The message is sent as normal.

"I would just like to begin by saying that you need not refer to my by my title; Michael, Mike, or similar designations will work just fine. I do appreciate the thought, however.

And yes, this all makes a great deal of sense. I find the concept of making my fungi natural leyas generators, and in turn, I would not be surprised that I could use similar ideas to make them suppress leyas at the same time. In my conversations with Captain Axis, he mentioned leyas warding- perhaps that will lead me in the right direction.

I realize that I will have to hone these techniques, and I do plan on doing so regardless of how useful it will actually be, but given our current situation I need to prioritize. There are a lot of projects begging for my attention at the moment... I think you will be quite pleased with their results. I expect to unveil the first major milestone of the Habitat project very soon. That being said, I will be more than happy to be your student once I have some time.

And I will say that the challenge of 'consuming nightmares' has actually been the impetus of this entire project. It made me quite quickly realize the significant issues leyas could inflict on my current plans, and it is one of the reasons why the initial focus of my work is to simply remove leyas from the equation. Obviously, I may reintroduce it as I become more familiar with its workings.

As always, thank you for your correspondence."

MichaelHerbertGilmour
MichaelHerbertGilmour

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelHerbertGilmour Tue May 31, 2011 3:52 am

A second transmission is sent out despite the lack of reply from the Grand Admiral. Michael preferred to wait, but it seemed as if something was on his mind.

"Grand Admiral Yr, I have decided to put a few other projects on hold and begin learning how to manipulate leyas. A similar request is being sent out to other members of the TRILAT, but obviously any discussion concerning shadow leyas should likely begin and end with you. In addition to my questions in the previous message, I was wondering what would be required for such teaching. If I must make an appearance in person, things will be delayed, perhaps significantly, but we do what we must. Thanks."
MichaelHerbertGilmour
MichaelHerbertGilmour

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  AdmiralLayneYr Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:08 am

"As my mentor Lurlock taught me, there are two ways to approach the Leyas

The first is to use a research subject, a sentient being whose extreme emotions draws the Leyas to you. This is the path of the Vampyr or Bandit. You spark the fear and pain in the subject and that draws the Leyas. The subject is damaged psychologically but the power is strong. This is more common in Kasanth.

The other way is to focus your mind, and train your belief. Then Will reality to be different.
But if it were that easy, everyone would be master adepts.
It will take many months to learn a journeymans skill, but I can think of an old wench named Matron Or'cova who I can send your way. She will arrive above Anatos Hao habitat and help you train your mind in Shadow Leyas in the way of the conscious Leyas User."

AdmiralLayneYr
Faction Commander
Faction Commander

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelHerbertGilmour Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:01 pm

"Grand Admiral, I actually might be able to start generating extreme emotions in the relatively near future. Once such work is complete, would that kind of thing be useful to you? I didn't realize that that was a technique you used often.

And thank you; I am making contact with her now. I have only recently made the advances required to interact with her."
MichaelHerbertGilmour
MichaelHerbertGilmour

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down