Dark Refuge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures

+10
LeftenantRyuk
TheSectorGeneralDeer
Oleifera
GeneralGarminFe
Lions of Earth
Ar'yayhivequeen
blackheartsecurity
MichaelHerbertGilmour
DPrisoner00200
Admin
14 posters

Go down

What is the most dangerous type of organism to your holdings?

Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures I_vote_lcap29%Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures I_vote_rcap 29% 
[ 4 ]
Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures I_vote_lcap7%Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures I_vote_rcap 7% 
[ 1 ]
Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures I_vote_lcap0%Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures I_vote_lcap0%Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures I_vote_lcap21%Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures I_vote_rcap 21% 
[ 3 ]
Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures I_vote_lcap29%Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures I_vote_rcap 29% 
[ 4 ]
Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures I_vote_lcap14%Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 14

Poll closed

Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures Empty Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures

Post  Admin Sun May 08, 2011 10:35 pm

Every government must have a way to respond to threats of a biological nature. There are an infinite number of biological agents, viruses, bacteria, fungii and microcellular parasites that can spread and kill the citizens of an Empire.

What are your quarantine protocols, what types of medical technology do you respond with.
Make sure your post includes
1- How you respond to a Nonlethal but debilitating outbreak.
2- How you respond to a lethal outbreak that is spreading by unknown Vectors
3- How you respond to an uncurable outbreak that if left unchecked will wipe out your society.

Admin
Admin

https://darkrefuge.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures Empty Re: Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures

Post  DPrisoner00200 Mon May 09, 2011 12:22 am

Quarantines are very important to save the life of the uninfected.

Nonlethal plagues are dangerous. They stop industry forcing the resources of society into care.
The entire affected area will be nonlethally disabled by Orbital Oculus stations.
Doctors in Hazmat suits should move in to treat the infected.

Lethal diseases have the same response except all doctors treating will not be allowed to leave until proven clean of disease. Mekanoids will enforce the quarantine with extreme force.

The exception to this are incurable outbreaks like Quall Larval infestation. They must be handled immediatly and without remorse. All are killed by orbital strike. No mercy.

DPrisoner00200

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures Left_bar_bleue200/200Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures Empty_bar_bleue  (200/200)
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures Empty Re: Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures

Post  MichaelHerbertGilmour Mon May 09, 2011 1:06 am

Michael has thought about this many times, and in the end he is not terribly concerned. Indeed, the only thing he has any real doubts about concern leyas-infused contaminants, but even that will not likely be dangerous.

All planets under his domain consist of an almost innumerable number of different species, each integrating itself as a part of a rich biome. Under Michael's watchful eye, he is able to quickly ascertain the pheno- and geno-typic state of any organism within his control. Even a dramatic loss of a vast majority of species, a catastrophic and nearly impossible situation, can be managed through quick-growth and quick-mutation protocols, regenerating the former populations and enriching them with protections against the invading organism/contaminant.

In the end, any targeted attack will certainly fail, simply because there is too much diversity within his kingdom. The engineered organism would have to be fatal to all life, both currently in existence and theoretical, and at that point it would not likely fall under any of the listed categories.
MichaelHerbertGilmour
MichaelHerbertGilmour

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures Left_bar_bleue100/100Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  blackheartsecurity Mon May 09, 2011 1:34 am

Excerpt from Heart of Space: A Field Surgeons Memoirs
Author: Dr Sacha Elbaruc

After my rescue and job offer with Blackheart Security I was put in charge of the medics attached to the security teams. Turns out many of my compatriots were given jobs as well, the rest were veteran combat medics, so training was not an issue.

The topic of quarantine and preventive measures came up. I made the argument that the two greatest threats were viruses and nanoplague. In that order.

The super bug is out there, it might be hiding under a rock in a poorly terraformed world, growing in a test tube in a scientists lab, or in an aerosol canister in a terrorists backpack. A truly nasty virus could do viscous damage to any society.

A retro virus that implanted itself into the hosts DNA would be truly horrific as the nanite treatments that most society rely on and the radiation treatments found in the societies spawned from "Refuge" use would both be ineffective at finding and stopping the viruses propagation and curing its victims.

The second threat is that of nanoplagues. These weapons of mass destruction are particularly heinous. Besides one faction unleashing a "grey goo" plague (Which would destroy everything and was beyond the scope of my field) the biggest fear I had was that our technology against us. A nanoplague that corrupted nanite medical treatments as well as attacking biological tissue in some irreparable way would be particularly deadly as it would overpower most standardized protective measures.

Detection and prevention are the top priority. I made sure that Childeen Blackheart understood that. Many saw his expansive medical benefits for his employees as genorosity, or increasing worker productivity, and they certainly did but they were also the first line against a planetary extinction level event.

Once detected, quarantine and rapid study. Find the vector then worry about the cure. In all cases this will mean some sort of blockade. Commerce must stop until the disease is under control and can be screened for.

I advocated traditional medicine, with nano treatments or radiation treatments (In areas that allow it) as a final option. A word on the "radiation" treatments. I know the Iron Republic published a thorough study that found people exposed to the "leyas" as its colloquially called were 200% more likely to develop cancer. I have not seen the evidence to back up that study, in all my years of medicine I have seen the Leyas pull off miracles just like the Iron Republics magic silver syringes.

In the case of a nonlethal outbreak quarantine (Moving all infected to the same area either away from society, or in a controlled environment) and study are the first priority. Once the spread is under control the time crunch isn't present, the 100% solution can be found and instituted.

In the case of a deadly outbreak the most urgent consideration is to stop the spread. Move the infected, but first get all information, where they live, what they ate, who they slept with etc. Then analysis (Much the way Blackheart analysts search for the enemy) is conducted. Locate the vector and pinch it off at the source. Then the priority is curing the ill, it may sound a little cold to put them second but deadly outbreaks can quickly overwhelm medical systems and stopping the infection is the only way a planet can hope to combat the disease.

I believe in pharmaceuticals, now and days the business is on the out, but that means the corporations that produce medical drugs need to insure quality and effect while keeping prices low. That's the only way they can compete with the 50 credit magic bullet the IR prescribes.

Sometimes there is no cure, we found that out with the Jolly Russ. No matter what you do the infected would die. Quarantine the infected, treat it the way you would a deadly outbreak. However the infected need to be organized so they can be as self sufficient as possible. The community of the infected should be allowed to live out there lives away from society until either the disease takes effect or they choose to end it all. The focus in that community needs to be pain relief and spirituality (Preferably the spiritual leader be one of the infected).

When Lionguard was being stood up it was the least of my worries and it was way beyond Lion Guards mission and capabilities in the early days, but I wrote the manual for what happens when society succumbs to the smallest but greatest threats. I hope who ever judges us in the afterlife forgives the cold scalpel like triage I recommended.

blackheartsecurity

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures Left_bar_bleue100/100Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  Ar'yayhivequeen Tue May 10, 2011 4:22 pm

While the Quall N'Drone normally don't have to worry about such things we do have people under our protection that do indeed worry about disease.
So for debilitating non lethal diseases, the Horned Dog shall set up clinics to care for the afflicted ones, as their Larva protect them from disease they are perfect to care for the sick. They shall keep the infected isolated and try to find a cure to their disease while keeping the people comfortable. The sickness shall be research and if the patient is willing we shall see if the idea of Implantation could cure them without harming the Hive. Also searching through the Hive Mind to see if we have seen any similar sickness and if we have in the past try to find how it was treated.

As for a lethal outbreak that is spreading by unknown Vectors then like the first issue the Horned Dog shall be used to care for the sick. As the cause is unknown the victims shall be quarantined to see if they spread the sickness while an investigation of the surrounding region is done to isolate the cause. If possible Quall N'Drone shall be called in to see if they could burn the disease from the afflicted ones. If not then like the non lethal sickness, we shall see if implantation could be used as a cure without harming the Hive. Also searching through the Hive Mind to see if we have seen any similar sickness and if we have in the past try to find how it was treated.

Now, as for an uncurable outbreak that if left unchecked will wipe out your society. Then the Quarantine shall be community wide with greater amount of Horned Dogs and Quall N'Drone seeking the source of the sickness and trying to locate the cure. The Quall shall attempt to burn the disease away and like all see if Implantation could cure it. Also searching through the Hive Mind to see if we have seen any similar sickness and if we have in the past try to find how it was treated. If no cure can be found among our resources, we shall contact other organizations describing the sickness and see if they have a way to treat it. If that fails then all non infected people shall be evacuated to Kyrpos and as a last resort burn everything that might spread the infection, if possible revive as many people who can be safely revived.

Ar'yayhivequeen

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures Left_bar_bleue120/120Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures Empty_bar_bleue  (120/120)
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  Lions of Earth Thu May 12, 2011 3:48 am

The Church of one elements, despite being advised against it, believe the answer to disease is simple prayer and in the case of alien larva and nanoplague an inquisition. The ill will be gathered at the churches and looked after by the priests of the church of one, regardless if the disease is debilitating or deadly. One faith healing can trigger more as the hope of the infected rises. If the infection threatens to wipe out society burning the infected for their sins is authorized though looked down upon.

However my Lions and I find this “simple” solution seems horribly ineffective. If my forces begin to become infected in garrison they will either retreat as far from society as possible, or wait it out in a quarantined area.

If they become infected in a war zone they will be ordered to a quarantine area for testing. However should they choose to infiltrate or charge their enemies, with basic equipment, hoping to infect as many of their enemies as possible, then they will be honored for their courage and loyalty to the Lions.

Either way they will file a complete debrief of their activities and possible sources of infection.

If the disease runs its course and they are able to return to base they will report back for complete medical testing. If it does not and they either die from its effects, from the enemy, or decide to commit suicide to end the pain then they will come to in a cloning tube a while later. The nice thing about having cloned soldiers whose memories are downloaded regularly and original DNA samples on file is that death is an inconvenience not a fear.

Lions of Earth

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures Left_bar_bleue95/100Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures Empty_bar_bleue  (95/100)
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  GeneralGarminFe Thu May 12, 2011 2:18 pm

Most of our citizens are unfamiliar with the spread of disease as we irradiated most forms of it years ago. However, disease in not the only kind of infection capable of destroying a society. If an infection were to occur, then time becomes an enemy. Beacon City has no tolerance for anything that would bring harm to it's citizenry.

Non-lethal infections occurring in the civilian populace will see immediate quarantine. As well as an immediate investigation into people in contact with the infected. In a society were the common cold and stomach flu do not interrupt the daily lives of the people, infection is looked upon as a crime. Quarantine allows for several living options though. House arrest is the most common choice by the citizen, but some take the offer to be quarantined in the plane of awareness in order to center one's self. Medical crews will work on a cure in a way that is safest for the citizen.

In the case of lethal infections the same occurs except that all citizens are given the option for immediate and painless death and resurrection. Resurrection is available both in the form of leyas healing or with cloning vats provided to Beacon City by the Unity. This of course assumes the memories of the citizen itself are intact within their shard heart. A third option exists for those who do not want to be resurrected, which is to remain as a shard heart and be placed in the grand communion halls. Medical crews will work on a cure in a way that is most safe for the them.

In the case of an incurable infection that threatens extinction the citizen is given immediate and painless death. If they can't be resurrected due to a taint in there available genetic material or for any other reason, yet their shard heart remain operational, they will be placed in the halls to be remembered.
GeneralGarminFe
GeneralGarminFe

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures Left_bar_bleue120/120Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures Empty_bar_bleue  (120/120)
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  Oleifera Thu May 12, 2011 11:24 pm

"Never again will this one, or any of its kind, be slave to alien parasites. NEVER AGAIN!!"

Oleifera's view screen, which had formerly held the visages of three Kasanthian youths, blanked out. Oleifera whirled around the room angrily. "You!", a tense liana pointed at a random lab assistant, "Find a ship to Builder's Haven 12 and put those three on it! One way! NOW!"
The assistant nodded shakily and sprinted for the door.

From deep within their shared consciousness, the choir of Builders chimed in gently. “We think that research into preventing implantation and removal of alien parasites is a commendable goal.” The Oleifera relaxed slightly and they continued. “Otherwise, our society is well equipped to deal with nanoplague and computer viruses, and you will be teaching us your methods of self-modification to combat biological diseases.”

Oleifera heaved a vegetative equivalent of a sigh. The Builder’s choir took on a wry tone. “We will take good care of your three… wards, Oleifera. It is good that they will learn our ways!”

1. Nonlethal - Treat symptoms, develop choate which combats specific antigen and give to sufferers
2. Lethal - Same as above, but implement gentle quarantine - reduce unnecessary travel, track cases. Give choate to entire population (vaccination)
3. Civilization Threat - Complete quarantine. Seclude healthy populations. Vaccinate all citizens.
Oleifera
Oleifera

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  TheSectorGeneralDeer Fri May 13, 2011 12:45 am

Sector General Deer laughed as he saw the information request. He didn't know what was Extreme about toxicology, but he also wasn't going to say no to beeing on a video phone with a beautiful reporter.

"The cornerstone of Iron Republic Quarantine procedures is martial law. You see, Ma'am, the way you get the people under control is to take full control of their lives for a few days. Stop them from traveling, maybe you stop them from infecting friends and family. Stop them from gathering in large groups and you present an impossible wall to the sickness spreading like wildfire.

So lets say you gotta take care of a small outbreak. Its non lethal. Its making people feel, well sick. They can't do work, production stops. This one is simple. You send in a Medical Platoon of Delta Brethen. The simple minded Deltas are perfect to send in. They go individually to neighbors houses, then come back and go into Quarantine themselves.
They treat the people. Deliver food, meds, anything needed to prevent an outbreak from becoming catastrophic. You gotta give the people the full service so they get better faster. Then they can return to work. Worse case in this case, you just send in a few Brethren Enforcers armed with Stun weapons. Stun weapons like the new Omnimax Stunner. I personally designed this shotgun style stunner to take down people safely and nonlethally. Its great and its out on the market now if local defense forces want to buy this.

But sometimes stunners aren't enough. Sometimes you gotta make tough choices. If an outbreak becomes deadly killing as it spreads, and no end is in sight, I.R. protocols are pretty clear. The entire affected populace will be culled for the greater good. A few will be taken as samples so researchers can find a cure before the next outbreak.

Yes some may say that in cases where its lethal but cureable a full culling is overkill. I dissgree quite simply. One dead colony by a Virus is one dead colony to many. After an outbreak infects a colony its easy to decide. Any chance I could allow two to happen because I did not act fast enough would be too much for my conscience. Better to act fast, then regret it for life."

Sector General Deer gave her a genuine smile of pride.

"And worst case scenario, a colony with a virus that could wipe us all out. It gets Neutron Bombed, every potential viral host wiped out in a single instant. Merciful, quick, and most importantly, effective."

"So Ma'am would you be interested in a nightcap at my place?" drunken

TheSectorGeneralDeer

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  LeftenantRyuk Fri May 13, 2011 1:46 pm

Ryuk saw this question , and though, I don't deal with this, other people do. Then Ryuk remembered he has a planet. Maybe I should consider this . . . .

as a few second pass, Ryuk decided that when in doubt, it should be left to the experts , not hi but just in case.

1. Isolation of people. Solves problem until treatment can be found, stasis is another option.
2. Identify vectors, call on unity prime to find out best qualified person, hire them.
3. Kill them all, rez them when solution is found.

LT Ryuk

LeftenantRyuk

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures Empty disease?

Post  MaehlHoldings Fri May 13, 2011 9:49 pm

More money, more problems. It was an adage coming truer and truer.

Disease. His POs were worried about them, and he had no answers. Maehl realized he was very ill equipped to rule an empire, notbecause of his skill set but rather due to the lack of resources. Thankfuly he had allies that could. In reserve he had over a million cure-all medicines in the case of another Druzi-like outbreak. He also had the means to acquire many more. Problem one solved. Problem two: information dissemination. In the event of an outbreak, he would have to be able to advise the people accordingly. Information was crucial. Keeping the people informed without panic was vital. Lucky for him, he had a team of people for that. It also helps that most of his holdings we're either Iron Republic or shared with Trilat forces. They have means to assist in these matters. Final problem: what if the spread and disease unknown? What if there is no help to be had? That's an ugly question, Su thought to himself. If it can't be helped, then it must be contained. Quarantine is the only answer he had. S scratched his head, for it was a tough answer. People would have to die, be studied, and a cure found. But for death, there is no answer. Su frowned...no easy answers today..and ever. Tough business indeed.

MaehlHoldings

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures Left_bar_bleue125/125Week 4 Planetary Investment Mission- Toxicology and Quarantine Measures Empty_bar_bleue  (125/125)
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  FieldMarshallStrykker Sat May 14, 2011 12:01 am

In case of a large scale out break of disease the EEF will estalish quraintines around the infected zones. Leyas, nanites and medicines will be used to provide treatment and a cure. If vaccines are found they will be mass produced by the Saragosa cloning facility and distributed to major population centers.

FieldMarshallStrykker
Faction Commander
Faction Commander

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  F.KalMarx Sat May 14, 2011 12:43 am

Toxicology is the study of sources of toxins and their effects on living beings, and all assembled have ignored what we really are facing. A live experiment, is what it is, free testing.

In each of the above three examples, these fools have ignored how much can be learned.

Three different types of plague.
1st take samples and use against allies that need regulating.

2nd is a weaponizable infection, should be used against enemy nations

3rd is a last resort weapon. Unleash it when you know your society is done anyway right?

F.KalMarx

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  UnityPrime Sat May 14, 2011 2:07 am

The Unity has long had to deal with threats that could disable or destroy an entire hivemind. Under the direction of Prime, a series of firewalls have been emplaced, that can spring up in the case of aggression. Further, the Unity is not a single network. Instead, the Unity is a series of subnetworks connected by nodes or tacit relations. Thusly, were one group to be destroyed, the rest of the Unity could go on.

There are three conditions under consideration.

1) There is the concern of non-lethal debilitating pathogens. These are an opportunity. The Unity understands full well the essential role that pathogens play in a society. Without these, the immune systems of us all can not be considered adequate. The pathogen will be studied, and cures will be attempted. However, the Unity will often expose additional volunteers to the pathogen in order to collect more data which can be disseminated regarding the pathogen. Care can be given to the individuals by drones to prevent further spread. If the pathogen is some sort of computer virus, the cures will be given by esoteric programmers which have shut off their Unity Uplinks to deal with the threat on a person by person basis.

2) A lethal outbreak spreading by unknown vectors MUST be understood. Further, it must be understood by those being affected, in case the vector is not purely biological. All of those at risk will have their memories uploaded into a special isolated server for the totality of the incident, and they shall also be given appropriate training through one-way data streams to said isolated server. From there, the infected and any outside agents which can safely be exposed shall perform primary research regarding the pathogen, knowing full well that they will survive. The data will be viewed through esoteric means, monitors as opposed to direct uplinks, such that an understanding of the primary research can be achieved with minimal exposure risk. Once this data has been collected and interpreted; a cure will be devised, as well as a mode of action. If a mode of action cannot be derived, the planet will be sterilized; the people will be revived, and production will begin anew.

3) If there is no cure, the connected understand that they are part of a greater whole. Even if the individual dies, the effect they have had on their peers will live on into perpetuity. Further, their personality uploads can be used to formulate new bodies, giving them life once again. The Unity will destroy whatever it must, be it city, station, or planet, to prevent its own ultimate destruction. If the Unity dies so do all connected.
UnityPrime
UnityPrime
Faction Commander
Faction Commander

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down