Dark Refuge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driving off the Shadow

+5
CaptainAxis
directorironsbane
Lief_of_FortLendill
sectorgeneralstark
UnityPrime
9 posters

Go down

Driving off the Shadow Empty Driving off the Shadow

Post  UnityPrime Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:35 am

OOC: Hello everyone! I'm sorry that I have been away for so long, but my work/personal life has been very intense lately. In a good way, before you get concerned. However, I've really missed you guys, and I have an idea which has me itching to write. I've been in contact with our ever-so-excellent admit, and I got permission to perform a large-scale epic using some...well...you will see below. This will be a largely Player-versus-Enemy set of missions, but backstabbing is very much encouraged. There will be a heroic component of this mission, and there will be strategic space battles. As with the other campaigns, please write a fun intro in this thread so I know who is playing. I will be putting up the first missions on the auspicious date of Friday the Thirteenth of this month. We will also be following the standard rules for missions and times, where missions get locked on the Friday they are due, and the new missions are put up by the following Monday.

I also request that if you do anything via-private message in regards to the campaign, please cc me on the message. The same goes for questions. Now, to the story!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The E-strain Hive worlds became killing grounds, as billions were sacrificed in celebration. The Chief of all Chiefs proclaimed that the great swath of space Prey called "E-Strain Space" was to be vacated. The time for invasion had come at last. The Arc of Midas would be taken, and all of space would fall to ruin.

Some of the massive insectoid monstrosities sung praises to their adopted god-king until they were silenced by their brothers. Others screamed for mercy until their throats were slit. The corpses were impaled on massive skeletal frameworks, little more than engines. The Corpses shook as they were incorporated into the massive fleets, and they launched from their birth-planets to join the horrifyingly large E-strain migration fleet. Much was recorded by Michael's silent eyes and sent to Prime.

The Chief who would lead the migration fleet was horrifyingly large, even for an E-strain. His heavily armored frame was marred by cancerous nodules which pulsed of their own accord. His face was a writhing mass of segmented insects. After defeating one of the last high chiefs, and taking the other as his adviser, he was the undisputed Chief of the great E-strain horde. His beautiful voice erupted from the mass of insects which was his face, and the order for launch was given. The Great Migration began.

Prime was still locked in his containment suit in the very heart of the Horror Nexus. From the depths of his writhing agony, he processed the reports from Fate and Michael's communications as best as he could. The size of the E-strain migration fleet defied description, and it was moving to the Arc of Midas. If the fleet should make it past the Arc, the loss of life would be catastrophic. To make matters worse...Fate predicted a near extinction level event if the E-strain were to interface with the sentient stars, though was silent as to why.

Prime knew that the long range scans of other factions could likely pick up the massive upswell of E-strain activity as well as he could. All the same, he prepared to broadcast a message to his allies and enemies alike. The Unity would be able to provide precious-little help, as the E-strain had been quite clever with their deployment.

Before Prime stood Ryuk, who had before him a near-impossible quest. Investigate the broadcasting station that was, and to retake the secrets of Unity Core. Prime's voice made it clear that he would need allies. Would he seek them out?
UnityPrime
UnityPrime
Faction Commander
Faction Commander

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Driving off the Shadow Left_bar_bleue120/120Driving off the Shadow Empty_bar_bleue  (120/120)
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Driving off the Shadow Empty Re: Driving off the Shadow

Post  sectorgeneralstark Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:07 pm

The Tarrisian Free State was one of the few Iron Republic sanctuaries on the former penal colony of Refuge. It was here that Sector General Stark maintained a pair of Gornenham Castle-kind in his employ to act as living castles for his locally stationed officers. He had learned the hard way to keep his Brethren aboard their vessels. Especially if he wanted the local Tarrisian government to continue its information sharing.

Stark had aided the fledgling government of President Bergin of Tarris in her fight against the terrorists known as the Angels of Desolation.

Just as Tarris had been ground zero for the Akunan outbreak in decades past, it was ground zero for the spread of the E-strain Manslayers during the border wars of Refuge. The mountain caves and deep ravines of the countryside of Tarris were teeming with E-strain Hives.
Since the forests were infested with Akunan Technoghouls, the Tarrisian Peoples stayed inside of their walled cities and the loving defensive embrace of the Gornenham Castle-kind. They were often unaware of how dangerous the amount of Estrain in the hills had become. Luckily for them their enemies in Fort Lendill spread a nanovirus into the Estrain Hivemind splitting it into seperate entities with an insatiable urge to kill each other.

Without the Tarrisians lifting a hand the threat dynamic suddenly changed. Suddenly it was Refugian Estrain protecting the planet from infestations by any other hive.
But Stark knew, as did Amdis the Minister of Technology of Tarris, and of course they shared this information carefully with President Bergin. There was little she could do but as long as the local Estrain Hives stayed in their place she could keep her citizens safe.

Stark watched the holographic message again. It was a recording from President Bergin.
On one side of the holographic table was President Bergin and on the other was a towering Estrain Manslayer with its crab-like carapace drapped with white cloth marked in many languages with the symbol or word for diplomat.

President Bergin said "Cragov, Diplomat of the Refuge Hive, welcome to the Tarrisian Free State."

"We of the Refuge Hive appreciate your welcome," said the Estrain,Cragov, his own voice a series of clicks and pops of his mandibles, translated by a technomantic translater affixed to a bandolier around his shoulder. Its obvious speaker pulsed out the voice of a handsome male with a Dumbari accent, "The Refuge Hive was once exclusively loyal to the Angels of Desolation. Now we have many freedoms of choice. We choose to keep our independence from the new rogue Estrain nations that seek to overwhelm this universe."

"How many of these nations are there?" President Bergin asked in concern.

"Before the grand culling it was beyond counting," said Cragov, a hint of sadness in his body language, "There are the billions of Estrain Manslayers and trillions of Agoh directly serving the Angels of Desolation. There are a few trillion Estrain Manslayers serving as free-claws for the Uloh Free Confederacy and through them the EEF. There are handfulls of tiny hives scattered across Known Space. Then there is this newest threat, The Chief of the Great Migration, who has grown dangerously in power and seeks to reknew the conflict by attacking a distant starcolony near a place known as the Arc of Midas."

"How many are under This Chief of the Great Migration's control?" asked President Bergin in concern.

"All of them," said Cragov, "All of them that have not sided with the AOD, the Uloh Free Confederacy or went rebel. The numbers are...staggering. The growth rates beyond the capability of my translator to explain."

The holographic display shut off and Stark thanked his luck for the Tarrisian Free State.
First he launched off a copy to Fleetmaster Deer, and once the message confirmation was recieved, Stark launched his fleet.

He would buy the IR some time, in hopes that an Operation:TRIDENT fleet could be brought to bear in time.

Sector General Stark fired off secured communications to Lief and Cha'ain of Fort Lendill, and even to his adversaries in the EEF and the Lions of Earth.

Finally he called down to his communications officers to put out a bounty on the E-strain ships of the Great Migration. Stark would bring every damn space pirate and merc ship within range if he could.

The K'ias former Sector General set out in a fleet to create the line in the sand at the Arc of Midas. His Fleet of Fate Mothership would lead the attack, and in its wake would fly five Century-Class Heavy Frigates, and ten IR Gunships. Their combined starfighter compliment strength would be 250 IR Raptor Starfighters armed with plasma missiles and 550 IR Gunpods up-armed with Ripper Cluster Missile pods.

It might cost him everything, but he would hold the line. Unless of course, one of his allies or enemies suggested a better plan. This was truly one of those Enemy of my Enemy is my friend moments.

sectorgeneralstark
SubCommander
SubCommander

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Driving off the Shadow Left_bar_bleue100/100Driving off the Shadow Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  Lief_of_FortLendill Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:19 pm

Lief held the papers. He read them again, "You're sure these are legit?" he asked his scribe. A gold plated SUARM who acted as Liefs personal assistant and herder.

The Scribe nodded, "Yes sir, they all check out, I ran them and all supporting documents against the database. The signatures all match." Fort Lendill still used paper documents. It baffled most of the universe why a technologic super power would still use such an ancient form of data management. Every official document had a copy made of it and was stored in the master repository and scanned. The breathtaking bureaucracy of Fort Lendill were armed with scanners loaded with the molecular signature of every piece of paper in the repository and every copy of it ever made. Combined with periodic page by page checks the system validated itself.

Lief walked to the window. Over the town the large hologram of Cha'an sat pondering wisely, a halo of light around him. Underneath a banner read "All people are equal, it is only by our brilliance that we are unique". It was one of the "12,978,189 mantra's of the Divine leader." That book combined with the "Sins of our Fathers" a narrative recounting the heroism of Cha'an and other FT Lendill heroes over the nuclear down fall of Tal Hanon, and the Olhmite Khazgas "Meditations of Peace" made up the foundation of FT Lendil culture.

Cha'an hated being portrayed as a psuedo religious figure, almost as much as he hated how elsewhere he was portrayed as a fickle tyrant. Sometime Lief would let him know that was kinda purposeful. It could wait till Cha'an came out of seclusion, however long that took.

"So let me get this straight, Sector General Stark wants me to join his defense fleet to fight an E strain fleet that our scanners report is so large it defies description?" Lief asked as he stepped away from the window to find something fizzy and heavily caffeinated.

"Actually sir, I can explain its size if you would allow me to write an equation taking into account growth rates." Scribe offered.

"No, I like the mystique of not knowing." Lief said. "Ok take dictation for Stark.

"Starky,
Hows it going, you live next door but you never come over. We should have a sleep over, we can talk about how dreamy the stock holders on and paint each others nails."
"I hear you have a crabs problem. And while I am sure they make a shampoo that cures that I doubt they make enough of it. Fort Lendil will come to your rescue. Where do you want to meet so we can compare penis sizes, I mean fleet sizes, and talk strategy?"

Hugs and Kisses,
Prince Lief"

The scribe closed his eyes, handling Lief's diplomatic communications was both amusing and frightening. "What preparations should I make?" Scribe asked.

Lief thought about it for a moment. He chugged down the can of stimulants he found crushed it and launched it across the room. "Whats the code for when the world may end but ya know it shouldn't effect daily life that much?"

Scribe thought for a moment his perfect SUARM memory quickly coming up with the answer, "Alpha Beatrix 20X6" He said mechanically.

Lief nodded, "Yeah go for that one. That's the one where we put everyone on heightened readiness and don't tell them why, and then if the end does come we let it all descend into anarchy?" Scribe nodded, "Sweet I love that one." Lief said. "Also prep my personal fleet. Once we are loaded up lets go find Starky and make fun of him!"

Lief_of_FortLendill

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Driving off the Shadow Left_bar_bleue100/100Driving off the Shadow Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  directorironsbane Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:38 pm

Evo Deman looked at the information again that his people gathered from various factions about this new E Strain threat. He was not getting paid enough to take on this kind of a threat. As the Supervisor in charge of the fleet he was responsible for making a plan here. His orders were to join in the defense against the E Strain and profit from the fighting.

Profit from this? it was certainly going to be a challenging assignment, the main problem was his lack of Recycler class starships. If he had some of those all he would have to do would be to wait until the battle was over and move in and salvage the wreckage from both sides, sadly as his budget was rather tight at the moment the 400,000 ghaz those ships were going for were a bit above his spending range.

Well he had plenty of armed freighters, ha, sending those in to fight the E Strain....he might as well present them to those bugs as a gift. Well his boss might be able to call in some favors but until then his forces were rather small. Some creative thinking would be needed here, however Evo was sure that he could get some salvage without getting his hands too dirty. Engaging the E strain directly wasn't something that would help them at all.

His orders went out soon after, they were to monitor responses to this threat, he needed to know who was sending what to face this threat. Director Ironsbane's contacts and hackers would be used to their fullest.

directorironsbane

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  sectorgeneralstark Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:42 am

Lief_of_FortLendill wrote:"Starky,
Hows it going, you live next door but you never come over. We should have a sleep over, we can talk about how dreamy the stock holders on and paint each others nails."
"I hear you have a crabs problem. And while I am sure they make a shampoo that cures that I doubt they make enough of it. Fort Lendil will come to your rescue. Where do you want to meet so we can compare penis sizes, I mean fleet sizes, and talk strategy?"

Hugs and Kisses,
Prince Lief"

Prince Lief,

Respected Lief of Fort Lendill, I did not realize you were some sort of Prince. Royalty must be nice, I wouldn't know, Im a career soldier. I was born, I served and I died. I was reborn, I served and I died. And now I work for the Iron Republic and for Tarris.
That doesn't mean I ignore threats from common enemies like the Estrain Manslayers.
I have hired on Larkin Military Emporium to hire on mercs for this blockade action.
I am scheduling a meeting with their strategois on a Free-station, and you should come. The more capital we have to negotiate with, the more hired starfighters we can direct to precisely carve apart our enemy formations.
I am leveraging some tarrisian bankroll, and I hope you will do the same.
We may be doing this without the Iron Republic or the EEF to back us,
And as a Shapeshifting K'ias soldier my penis is always bigger, though what that has to do with one's tactical ability I would not know.
As for my fleet, it pales in comparison to your fleets of the Fort Lendill Starcolonies and S.U.A.R.M. Space.
I also think we could utilize your scientists skill in hacking the E-strain Hiveminds...
Unless such a technology is too dangerous to deploy.

FSG Stark

sectorgeneralstark
SubCommander
SubCommander

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptainAxis Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:38 am

Captain Axis camly walked over to his uth oricle and placed his hands on the Uths face. He was smiling the entire time, even as he snaped the Uth's neck. The other oricles present couldn't help but wonder if their master just lost control from his curse after hearing this news of the E-Strain or if this was just another moment for him to instil fear into his subordants.

The news actualy actualy met Axis with great joy. "Finaly", he though. "A challeng. Hords of E-Strain, something to use my toys on." He looked at his oricles, "find out who else is going to this little party of genocide and tell them the Infamous Lord Axis wishes to partake, I wish to comunicate with them imediatly, READY MY NEEDLE".

He then looked at the ground at the sorry sole lying there, "and have some one reserect this poor shit".

CaptainAxis
SubCommander
SubCommander

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  FieldMarshallStrykker Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:10 am

“Honestly no one ever drops a line to just say hello anymore.” Jeremiah grumbled as he reread the copy of the Stark's message from a data slate that his aide had handed him. “It's always the end of the Universe with these people.” Since they were alone in his office aboard his flagship Dauntless Jeremiah felt far more free to speak than what was allowed by diplomacy.
“Terribly rude of the them Sir.” Jeffers agreed “But what if they're right about this one?”
Jeremiah shrugged and handed the slate back over.
“It wouldn't be the first time.” Jeremiah replied as he flipped on the intercom built into his desk “Bridge, have we gotten any reports from the catspaw drones we sent to observe this 'migration' yet?”
“Yes Sir we've just reestablished contact with the drones and are getting the first scans now.” Came the reply from the signals officer. “I'll pipe them to your off..,” She cut off as an involuntary gasp escaped her lips. At the same time all the back ground sound of normal bridge chatter stopped. Jeremiah glanced up at Jeffers. “Tanner, are you still there?” He asked after a brief pause.
“Yes Sir, sorry but, well you'd better see your self. I'm mirroring my display to your office now.” With that flat panel monitor set into the wall flickered to life. Jeremiah looked at the monitor as images of hundreds of thousands of bioships on the move filled its display. It was a huge fleet to be sure but E-strain only moved in huge fleets. He was about to wonder aloud if everyone was over reacting when something occurred to him. So far he'd only seen the visible light images. His mouth went dry.
“Tanner, switch to the life sign readings.” The screen flickered again for a moment then resolved itself into a deep red color fading to orange at the edges. Even as they sat and stared in shock the orange edge was pushed out further until it was just barely visible on the screen. “Tanner whats the range on this scan?”
“The drones are half a light minute out currently.”
“My God, “ Jeffers breathed. “Sir with scan density like that from that range the number of returns.. I mean its...” He trailed off and Jeremiah realized that his aide was actually trying to figure out the numbers. For his part Jeremiah took a moment to muse on how he missed simpler times in his life. Like five minutes ago before he'd known that many E-Strain existed. Or that so many of them were set on eating everything in the Arc of Midas. And, who knew what after that.
“Tanner. Send a reply to Sector General Stark right away. Inform him that we'll be joining his planing session.”

FieldMarshallStrykker
Faction Commander
Faction Commander

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Driving off the Shadow Left_bar_bleue120/120Driving off the Shadow Empty_bar_bleue  (120/120)
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  MaehlHoldings Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:49 am

If it's not one thing, it's always another, Su thought ruefully as he received the blitz of communiques from just about everywhere. First, of course, he got Prime's message.... in five different forms from three completely different communication lines. It's scary how easily that man can get his messages across, although Su figured it was as much to do with his multiple "roles" he filled. It was then followed by a message from the Sector General Stark, which Su felt was rather strange considering he had had very little contact with SG Stark. He didn't necessarily see all the other Directors included in the memo, but that didn't mean much. Then there were the stereotypical "curious" internal memos that plagued the Iron Republic Stockholders board.... which were very much the bane of his existence. Slowly other memos came through to his Free Systems connections, including various members of the Trilat.

So, something had to be done. The board was paralyzed and Fleetmaster Deer, who was normally very proactive in these kinds of matters, was conspicuously absent in any discussions. That, moreso than anything else, worried him. Also quiet was SG Palomedes, who had interestingly enough become one of the few people he could "trust" in the Iron Republic. Again, disconcerting. It appeared that any action, at least for now, would have to be "unofficial." Su sighed deeply as the enormity of what he universe was about to face without the use of one of the biggest fleets in the universe. The only tiny consolation he was taking from these dim circumstances was that if he is successful in helping defend the Iron Republic, he may be able to leverage his popularity to greater influence within the Stockholders... or at the very least the begrudging respect of the Sector Generals.

Su looked at the information that he had accumulated before him. We're all gonna die if we don't do something quick. Su sent off a quick message to SG Stark, "The Board twiddles its thumbs, but you have my full support. - Stockholder Maehl."

Su followed up with Prime, "Dearest Prime, I'm in. -Maehl"

MaehlHoldings

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Driving off the Shadow Left_bar_bleue125/125Driving off the Shadow Empty_bar_bleue  (125/125)
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  UnityPrime Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:44 pm

(OOC: Please keep in mind that there is no "closing" for this campaign. People may jump in as they wish as the campaign develops. This will take a while, and so everyone who wishes to take part is welcome.)
UnityPrime
UnityPrime
Faction Commander
Faction Commander

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  OrleosSacrenine Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:46 pm

The labs under Sacrenine's care on the Horror Nexus were eerily quiet this day with the lack of clanks, clicks, and whirrs, as well as screams from various subjects perpetrating the air, it seemed strangely empty.

Elsewhere, the hangars were abuzz with activity. Engineers and pilots were doing system checks of their respective ships while Technicians and Adepts were loading Soul Harvesters into their cargo bays.

Orleos oversaw the entire operation, adding his advice about Harvesting as well as answering last minute questions about the pilot's orders on what they were to do regarding their positioning in the upcoming battle that was to take place in space and what they should do should they come under attack.

Something did not sit right in the pit of Orleos's stomach regarding the E-Strain, especially considering that as far as hive-minded beings went, they were especially savage, comparable to the Quall'N Drone's past in some regards even. Yet the Quall could be bargained with or controlled, even when they were at their worst. Something these beings seemed to lack, which unnerved him.

He walked on down the line of ships, lost in his thoughts, and turned to make his way to Prime. He would need more details on what this mission would entail and he had to contact Eante to make sure there were plans in the works should the worst happen.

Yet he thought on, 'If Prime is in charge, we will win in all aspects.' it was merely a matter of time and sacrifice.

OrleosSacrenine

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  MaehlHoldings Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:21 am

At the recent planning meeting, the question came up: why were the e-strain attacking now? Well, Su Maehl happened to be in a position to ask. He typed his message to his personal assistant back in Esiroh 6 to transmit it, via standard IR comm systems, to the oncoming fleet.

"This is thethe Iron Republic, transmitting to the E-Strain heading towards the Arc of Midas, you are on the verge of entering Iron Republic territory. Kindly state your intentions."

MaehlHoldings

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Driving off the Shadow Left_bar_bleue125/125Driving off the Shadow Empty_bar_bleue  (125/125)
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  UnityPrime Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:35 am

There was a pregnant pause as the message was sent. It was assumed that the commanders of the Great Migration would soon respond. Perhaps a reason would be given for this migration. Were they fleeing in the face of an even greater threat? Could peace be reached?

The return message came quickly. It overwhelmed the unprepared Esiroh 6 servers with billions of screaming gibbering voices. Occasionally, words such as "Prey" and "Hunger" could be made out, if any of the command staff on Esiroh 6 were listening. Su Maehl's comms officer quickly threw down her head-set to get away from the terrifying sounds. Malicious code embedded in the E-strain communication began screaming through the Iron Republic comm servers, devouring precious code at a horrifying pace.

Su Maehl's well-trained staff were able to contain the malicious code before it spread, but only barely. If his subordinates had been standard wage-slaves, or if the communication did not go through one of his strongholds...the damage could have been incalculable.

Once it was over, Su Maehl's staff stood shell-shocked. This moment passed, and they did as they were trained. Su Maehl expected data, and they would deliver.

After sterilizing the audio files and separating individual narratives, some meaning could be attained from the horrifying mess of a communication. Perhaps one of the more lucid Magnavores responded. The E-Strain were starving. All available "food" had been consumed in E-strain space, and there was more food on the other side of E-strain space. The "food" the Chief promised would be on the route was not there. Cannibalism made them hungry made them food blood sick made them hungry murder made them crazy made them sick sweet made them hungry. Those planets promised to them had been sucked try or made missing before their arrival. The Prey were at last in reach. They were hungry. There were prey.

With a haunted look in her eyes, the communications officer sent Su Maehl a situation report and the above summary.
UnityPrime
UnityPrime
Faction Commander
Faction Commander

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelHerbertGilmour Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:50 pm

Having performed his duties to The Unity in accordance with all they had done for him, Michael could wash his hands of this endeavor with a clean conscience.

But why, then, did he still feel the need to act?

He was one of the first to notice the migration, as his infection still lingered on those E-Strain that took part in the battle not a few months ago. While The Scientist was mostly interested in reclaiming the mass of those several worlds, a number of refugees form those places managed to spread his creations throughout E-Strain space. While they were partially controlled by endemic fauna, they still managed to integrate into the biome of those places.

And as any good citizen would, he informed Prime of the newest movements in E-Strain space, the 'Great Migration' that all other factions seemed so daunted by. And they should be. Numberless hordes were now on route towards 'civilized' space, ready to devour everything they saw in their path.

Michael himself, however, would be unaffected. He could simply leave. Pack up his things, move out somewhere else. Away from the constant wars, constant struggles, the ever-present threat of annihilation that nearby life tended to bring with it. He had been tempted to carry through with that idea for some time now, especially since several networks had joined the first. His being was now spread across four full stars, harvesting their light to carry out his work.

If he were to leave though... what would remain of his past?
MichaelHerbertGilmour
MichaelHerbertGilmour

Character sheet
Army Morale:
Current Research:

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down